Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Driving My Plastic Car with My Blue Pegs


This morning as I struggled to get out of bed at 4:45 am, I realized just how undisciplined I am. As the wind and rain beat against my window, I remember the argument that resounded inside my head. It went something like this, the ladies won't miss me, I won't get much more out of the current chapter we are studying, it is really Monday since yesterday was a holiday, my kids need me here in bed, it is just so cold out there. About 15 minutes later, I knew I just had to get up and go. When I arrived, and noticed 4 of our ladies were missing, I knew I wasn't the only one that battled today. It seems that lately, many conversations I have with friends, the topic of discipline is a biggie! Discipline in exercise, budgeting, eating right, reading the bible, prayer. Maybe it is the first of the year stuff, but it is a big deal!

As a Christian, I am called to live each day for the purpose of Godliness. Is every minute of every day productive and lived as if it may be my last? Absolutely not! Do I never waste time? Of course I do. My life on this earth is a vapor which is hard to comprehend when most of the time I feel like I'm riding in my pink plastic car with my blue plastic pegs on the gameboard of Life. We have to work, make money, pay bills, take care of children, go to doctors(so far I'm waiting for the windfall portion of the game), etc...When all this seems to take over my thinking, which often it does, I have to remember to think this world is temporary. So today as I ponder how to be a good steward of my time and resources, I am challenged in discipline once again.

I have had the oppurtunity to learn from women that have completed my stage of life. Even though they don't seem to want to repeat it, they all agree it has Godly purpose. I had to laugh today as I went home challenged to make my day matter. There is definitely nothing that an employer would find productive, disciplined, or mentally challenging in my day. I spent a whole hour holding a sleeping baby after a premature waking from his nap. I was stuck, there was nothing I could do unless I wanted to wake a clingy, teething baby. Laying there, I knew that I was exactly where I should be, and praying that our quiet moment gave God the glory that He so deserves.

No comments: