Monday, March 1, 2010

Sticker Please


About a month ago, Zach and I were alone together in the car and we both came to the realization that we needed to give Sawyer more structure at home. He thrives at school because he knows what to expect and knows what is expected. I'm not sure while all of a sudden it hit us one day that we repeat ourselves over and over and over. I guess we did it enough and were tired of it.

I have been hesitant to do official chores with a reward attached to it. When I do a chore, the reward is simply the satisfaction of knowing it is accomplished, if only for a little while.

So after pondering what might work, I put a few systems I have seen other places and put them together. I am not amazing, Sawyer is not amazing. In fact I beleived our new system would only work for a week, max! We have 10 pockets, 6 in the morning, 4 at night, with cards in each. When a job is finished, he moves the card into the finished pocket. Again, no reward, just a pocket with cards in it. I can not believe the change that has occured! No longer are we shouting orders all morning and before bed! A simple reminder to look at the job wall is all it takes. Every once in awhile, he feels that he deserves a sticker. Don't we all deserve a sticker! Get out out of bed-sticker, smile and breathe-sticker, drink coffee-sticker, check facebook-sticker, I do believe stickers are the appropriate reward for skills of daily living.

No comments: